Horst, chairman and CEO of Capella Hotel Group, is a legend and leader in the service world. His vision has helped reshape concepts of customer service throughout the hospitality and service industries.
Some of Horst’s recognitions include:
- “Corporate Hotelier of the World” – HOTELS Magazine, 1991
- Ishikawa Medal for personal contributions to the quality movement, 1995
- Honorary Doctor of Business Administration degree in Hospitality Management – Johnson & Wales University, 1999
- Leader in Luxury” – Travel Agent Magazine/Luxury Travel Advisor
Horst served as vice chairman of The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company from 2001 to 2002, after serving as president and COO of The Ritz-Carlton Group. Under his leadership, the Group was awarded the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in both 1992 and 1999 – the first and only hotel company to win even one such award. In addition, Ritz-Carlton was continuously voted “best hotel company in the world” by meeting and other trade publications.
As a Ritz Carlton charter member in charge of operations in 1983, Horst created the operating and service standards that have become world-famous. When he left Ritz-Carlton to form Capella Hotel Group, Horst was responsible for the $2 billion Ritz-Carlton operations worldwide.
Prior to The Ritz-Carlton, Horst held leadership roles at Hyatt Hotels Corporation and Hilton Hotels.
Horst serves on the boards of:
- Reliance Trust Company
- Cancer Treatment Centers of America
- The Travel Institute
- Georgia Family Council
- The InfiLaw System